Thursday, October 14, 2010

Food-ographs

            The beauty of music and art has intrigued me in many ways in my daily life. In recognizing the beauty of life I realized that beauty can be found in anything, in this case food. When I was told to pick out a subject for food ethics, I turned to the art of food by picking up my camera and a plate. The following is reasons why I chose my idea and what inspired me to do so.
            I am what some people might consider as a health nut. I aim to select the right foods and try my best to exercise regularly in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. My idea came from the suggestion of nutritionists and what they advise for their clients. Many nutritionists have advised people to write down what they eat daily. In doing so one might reconsider what they eat because writing it down helps the person realize how much they eat daily. My idea was to put a twist to this boring activity. I do not like writing, but I found that picking up a camera and simply clicking away at what I eat will be a helpful and simple tool. I will not be reading, but rather seeing my daily food choices. This will also allow me to exercise my visual memorization, because I am one of the people who can remember things by seeing them.
            I have tried this project personally before, but I hope to achieve different outcomes. I will be reviewing my “food-ographs” daily, and doing so will help me pick healthier foods that are also more appealing through the lens of a camera. I usually aim mostly for healthy foods, but I admit that there is always room for improvement. My focus will be expanding the visual art of my food journal. Good food makes good pictures, most of the time. In thinking about the journal as a whole, it will help me pick food-ographs that will compliment the journal (meaning if I begin with healthy foods, I won’t just throw in a picture of a pizza because not only will it throw off my diet, but my journal as well.)
            My plan is to start off a week of regular, “I-don’t-care” type of diet. I will take pictures of everything I eat. Then within the next week I will put in an effort to begin eating healthy. I am hoping that my choices prove to show that healthy foods are visually more appetizing as well. I aim to take beautiful pictures that will also show the ingredients of what makes the food healthy. I plan to use my father’s professional camera while executing this experiment.
            With this I hope to expand people’s ideas of what healthy foods are. I hope to inspire those who don’t eat healthy to begin to. I hope to captivate the eyes of the hungry and unhealthy people by taking appetizing pictures of healthy food. I will be sorting out the healthy foods with the unhealthy food in two different folders within the camera.
            The simplicity of simply taking pictures of foods will be easy to achieve. I hope to inspire many others to make a healthy turn in their eating habits, as well as turning them on to the visual arts. I hope to get used to eating healthy out of this project, and formulate an inspiring food journal as well.

5 comments:

  1. Ken =)
    I think the topic you chose for your blog project is a very interesting one but it is a bit broad. Do you plan to stick to any one diet in particular or will you be eating healthy foods at random? I think it would be cool if you were to include some sort of review or make of list of healthy foods you have tried, your top favorites to ones you enjoyed the least. Maybe you can suggest some tastey and healthy eating choices as you continue on with your project, as well as including your thoughts and opinions versus other's thoughts on the food in question. I really look forward to viewing your upcoming pictures, it seems like the perfect way to grab the reader's attention. Hopefully you can recommend a nice yummy treat for me to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea Ken. Yummy! I can already picture those pictures of your food! It will be a fun and inspiring piece of blog. Your project is a genuine one but I think you could add one more thing to it. You could maybe give the ingredients of the food posted, and maybe where you got it from, what is called etc. Your project will be like Supersize Me movie. And yes, maybe you could add your weight now and also your weight after your healthy diet starts. Sounds good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great suggestions that I will definitely consider while on my "gluttonous odyssey". One thing I want to make clear though is that I will notbe sticking to just one diet. I plan to eat different variations of dishes and cuisines. The idea of listing the ingrediants is also great, that way I can present a picture weekly as well as what and how exactly the food is made. My weight now is 122 lbs.....and I dont think its ever going to change, no matter how hard i try -_- lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha... No I mean since one week of 'I dont care diet' might increase it. Maybe just like an ounce or something? :) But yea good luck with your diet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great project, Kenneth. I like that you'll be using pictures, but I think you should also list what you ate along with the date, time, and location. That way, both you and the reader will have more information and develop a fuller idea of your diet.

    You might want to check out Tucker Shaw's book Everything I Ate, which is a similar project. You can find it here at Amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete